Saturday 16 August 2008

Who'd own a dog?

Yesterday finally saw a great day for roofing. Up and out early with my usual packet of biscuit breakfast and a cup of tea. You'd think she'd have left me something sensible to eat. I made storming progress on the roof, the 2 hounds bathing in the sun beneath me. Or should I say one hound "Zorro, Zorro, here boy" no response!. Lots of shouting and walking about looking for him, knowing I'd be in the doghouse if I'd lost him, but he was soon discovered on the compost heap chewing bits of rotten veg and grass. A huge sigh of relief as I locked him away and headed back to work. Thats strange, wheres Sasha gone? Off we go again walking about and calling, off to the farm, round to the neighbours, over the valley. Not a sign anywhere. Into the car, drive round to the chateau, drive to Le Tronquay and finally a drive right round the block to Ondenofontaine and back. Gone, nowhere to be seen. I put in a quick call to Jane, just to let her know my day had gone pear shaped. Then, with Zorrow on the lead, we went for a long walk round, about 6 miles I think, nearly an hour and a half. Right up to the forest at the back, over past the Chateau, down to Le Tronquay, up the hill by the grotto, etc. etc. etc... As we were coming back to the house, a car was pulling out of our drive and I thought, as any Brit would, we've been robbed as well now. As the car approached there was a very hairy passenger in the front seat gazing out at me. Thankfully the dog had been seized by a tractor driver and fed to a man in a house down the road. That was my translation anyway, one day I'll learn the language. I was very greatful and thanked the man and his attractive daughter in my best Franglish. I would have invited them in for a drink had I known how. Anyhow, alls well that ends well as they say. I still haven't had a drink since Sunday night although I very nearly cracked open a bottle last night. Looking forward to some more roof work today once I've walked the dogs and locked them up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean his attractive daughter?????