Wednesday 29 June 2011

Time for another pizza oven (seriously)

After my most amazing premier success building a pizza oven, yesterday I started work on mark two. The difference being that this one is for someone else.

As always I will be utilising whatever material I can salvage which, on this occasion, has focused around a large pile of old oak timbers. Soaking wet and covered in mud, it took a while to clean them back after which I whizzed over them with the power plane to reveal the decent wood underneath.

I'm doing a slightly different design this time, firstly because our French friends thought a fairytale spire was a little extravagant and= secondly, the materials available leant themselves to something slightly different. I'm going for a tudor style timber frame with pegged joints that will then be infilled with local stone and topped off with a slate roof. There won't be as much fancy tiling this time but I will throw in a few pretty patterns for good measure.

The kids had there "fete de music" last Friday. It went very well however the photos aren't great so I haven't bothered putting any up. For my contribution I cooked up some samosas and onion bhajis in an attempt to introduce the locals to some slightly spicier foods to normal. They were the first things to go off the table leaving a mass of pizzas and quiches to those further back in the queue.

Only 2 school days left before the kids take 9 weeks off to annoy me but, unlike normal, my mother in law is coming for a couple of weeks to help look after them. Then they're off to the UK with Jane for a week and, when they come back, we'll have other friends here to help look after them for another 2 weeks. I suppose I can't complain really.

2 comments:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

I love Peter's blue violin ... What's the musical quality like? Hope we'll get stage photos of the Tudor pizza oven too!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Saw this post and thought of you ...

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/06/table-lamp-from-birch.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Ikeahacker+%28ikeahacker%29