Tuesday 21 June 2011

Now for something completely different

I've been blogging now for coming on for 5 years. Always the same jovial antics and humour about our great adventures and stresses leading up to the present day. I am rarely one to touch on the more serious aspects of life and, as a whole, everything revolves around me. I love to read other peoples blogs and, for a while, my brothers boat restoration was top of the list. My brother in law started a blog about his dogs but it fizzled out pretty quickly and recently I inspired a young lad who was visiting us to start blogging as well.

Latest on my reading list though is a blog by a fellow softball player who has also decided to make a permanant life for him and his wife this side of the channel however the inspiration for his blog was something that sits in the back of many of our minds day in day out.

Each and every one of us probably know of or are related to someone who has suffered from "the big C". For some the outcome is good and others, well it doesn't get any worse. The first time it became apparent to me was aged 14 when I lost my best friend from school. It was totally unexpected and resulted in me backing away from any close friendships for many years to come. In more recent times Janes colleague from work also had problems but, thankfully, he has just been given the all clear, although they can never say never.

Imagine if you will a blog similar to mine but set solely from the point of diagnosis, all through various appointments and procedures right up to today, post op. It is written with sparkle and humour and gives me the greatest respect for my friend who has more balls than the ball pool at snakes and ladders. His procedure involved surgery starting in the middle of his bottom lip, going down under his chin and then off to the side of his neck. Rather than worry about the telling scar that will remain forever, he was focused on how much more realistic he would look as a pirate now.

Keep up the inspirational writing mate, you are setting a fine example to everyone on how to man up and step up to the plate.

3 comments:

lilyplum said...

What a lovely thing to write Andrew.
As you know Mike has had two lots of Chemo, and he has been in remission now for 17 years. he still goes every year to be checked out. It may come back as you say you can never say never.
I hope all goes well for him and his family.
keep up your blog, I feel that i am almost living in France! one day may be!

Anonymous said...

I think that there are huge lessons to be learnt from all these brave people. Maybe we should all look life in the face and live bravely too!! Not forgetting to be grateful for the life we have and the people in it. Mum xxxxxxxx

Florian said...

Yeah, i agree, to do that is just spectacular. I remember a coupke of years ago, we have freinds in France we have known our whole life, and one summer we went to visit them, and we were shocked to find out the mum had Breast Cancer. It is such a scary thought, and it can really change people who emphasise for that person. Recently another friend of my dad's also got cancer in his knee. Its just awful, and it's probably the worse thing out there :/ But your friend is so brave for writing like he has been. Inspirational.