Wednesday 19 December 2012

Chateau Antoine

The more I think about it the more I am convinced that bringing this decrepit old beast back to life should now be high on my priority list. If it's allowed to decay any further, we may struggle to get permission to rebuild it.

Although it's possibly not the ideal time of year to be starting work on a project like this, the initial task of clearing the collapsed walls is only costing the price of fuel for the dumper and progress is being restricted to the days when I can actually get traction in the wet mud. My first attack was on a decidedly frosty morning when the ground was suitably hard enough to be able to drive every where with ease. Day 2, which I started in glorious sunshine, rapidly turned to torrential downpours but I persevered until I could no longer drive into the building.

My intention is to clear the site completely freeing up access to both sides of the walls and digging down the internal floor as far as is feasibly possible without disturbing the outside walls. Then, subject to saving enough money, laying a structural slab of concrete so facilitate building internal walls providing an insulating cavity and a structure to support the first floor.




No comments: