Tuesday 24 January 2012

Here we go again........

So having finally combated the dreaded man flu, barring the odd snivel, it's now Janes turn to start showing the same symptoms. I believe it must be psychosomatic as we all know it's impossible for women to catch man flu. Fingers crossed she doesn't start craving sympathy now alongside the coughing and snivelling otherwise we may have to look into a quick trip to Switzerland.

Although now being almost 100% fit again my mojo is still missing, perhaps partying it up on some Caribbean Island or free diving for sun loungers off the Italian coast. They do say that for people in the Northern Hemisphere, January is the most depressing month of the year. All I can say is roll on February so I can kick start this year a little better.

Spending the majority of my life in solitude, as I do, I have plenty of time to plan ways of spending money I don't have. When I say plan I do me plan, right down to the finest detail. Yesterday, as justification for not doing anything productive, I decided to measure up the roof of the house to see exactly what materials I would need to finish the job that I started last year. Anyone who knows me well, or my father, will know that the chance of us actually finishing a job is a rarity. Back to my planning though. Last years section of roof used just under 3000 slates, the remaining section, all 430 square meters of it, needs another 15,100 slates. If I laid all the tile batten end to end, there would be enough to reach the church in Danvou, 3304m to be precise. To fix the tile batten alone will require 10,000 50mm round wire nails.

Money spent I decided to contemplate another project that will not cost much. In 3 weeks time we should have a house full of people including Steve & Laura, my mum with Adam, Harry and Hollie. I'm going to see if I can borrow a mini-digger for the week so that we can dig out a few tree stumps, dig a large soak away in the field to get rid of the bog that has appeared outside the stable again and clear a mound of earth that is in the field allowing easier access for the tractors when they do the hay. I'm also going to get the chainsaws serviced so that we can fell and log a few trees that are obstructing the views over our estate. Hopefully this week of guests will properly kick me back into gear.

2 comments:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Hope you all feel better soon. I like the new background, is it one of your photos? Hope you all enjoy half term hols

Louise said...

Hope you get lots done x