Sunday 13 November 2011

Janes birthday weekend

Friday night was our friend Patricks 50th birthday party and boy did we have a great night. Having arrived at his house just after 6pm, we didn't get home until 2:30am. An impressive feat for us, especially as we had the kids and mother in law in tow. It was an amazing party where we ate and drank incredibly well. Jane would say I drank excessively but nothing out of the ordinary there. At the turn of midnight, I announce to all the guests, in my best French, that it was Janes birthday. She was thougoughly embarrassed as people sang happy birthday to her.

On arrival home, knowing that we had guests staying in the gite, I went in to sort out the fire to make sure they would all be warm over night. There were no cars about so I was under the impression that the guests were all still at the party we had just left. As I marched into the kitchen to stoke the fire, it became apparent this was not the case as I frightened a sleeping French lady half to death before apologising lots in French and departing. If her fire did get stoked that night, it was not by me.

The morning of Janes birthday and even the kids managed to stay in bed past 10am. I delivered Jane a bacon and egg sandwich, as requested, along with her birthday cards and a beautifully carved piece of Breton furniture I had located on the free adds.

Josh was on birthday cake duty, knocking out his now world famous Dorset Apple cake. Unknowingly Josh found one of the candles that you can't blow out, much to the amusement of Marylines children who thought that Jane was a magician.

Having had a late start to the day, we sort of bypassed lunch and rolled into early dinner. Kirsty made leek soup as we'd remembered to buy the leeks this time and I knocked out some KFT. Kentucky Fried Turkey.

Today has been a proper Sunday. Quite a rarity for us.A bit of a lay in this morning, fresh bread with lunch and glorious sunshine all day. I've planted a load of bulbs and had a good sort out in the green house even installing a tap to make the watering easier.

2 comments:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Sounds like she had a great day! I love the carved bench, It reminded me of one I saw years ago, carved, with a solid back, but the back was hinged on the arms, so it could swivel up and become table instead! You're doing a great job in getting the kids to cook too!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend was had by all. I hope the french lady you startled was okay. Julie xx