Tuesday 18 October 2011

I went digging

In preparation for our medieval banquet, now only 11 days away, I decided to have a dig around in the banqueting hall to investigate the very unhealthy smell that was emanating from the floor. Just the fact that the ground was permanently damp suggested that there may be a leak in the drains somewhere.

What I uncovered was a little horrific to say the least. The drains were constructed of concrete tube sections merely butted up against each other and wrapped with builders sacks. A feeble attempt to keep the water and waste in which had failed dismally. There was only one option, as always, which was to do the job right.

Rain had stopped progress on the pizza oven so I hopped in the car to go and get the appropriate materials. I won't go into an in depth description of the stench that filled the room as I removed the old, fat and hair clogged, pipe work but it was pretty gross. It reminded me of my days of fixing sewage pumps.

With the site cleared and all the old tat removed I had no choice but to progress on with the new installation. The hardest job was reconfiguring the bath waste, previously running into a tin jug, to incorporate a trap and sit down under the level of the floor.

All done for today and I feel very contented. I believe a shower may now be a necessity though.

2 comments:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

The banquet wouldn't have been much with with that aroma! Job well done!

Jane said...

In medieval times, the smell probably did exist!!!