Sunday 11 September 2011

Hard slog on Saturday

I've been busy over the last few months scrimping and saving every penny I could so that I could knock another project on the head. On Wednesday I took delivery of another 10 tonnes of gravel and then Saturday morning, 8 tonnes of sand and 15 large sacks of cement turned up. As if there wasn't enough going on, we also took delivery of 18 months worth of fire wood on Saturday as well.

Saturday afternoon, phase 1 of my concrete mission was put into action. Having spent a couple of days with Louise digging out over a foot of saw dust from the log shed, the coast was clear to put in a concrete floor. Those of you thinking this is a little extreme for a log shed need to appreciate how much wood we have been writing off due to the damp coming up through the floor.

To kick the job off, I had 2 enthusiastic children helping on the mixing front. The novelty of mixing concrete rapidly faded by about the 10th load, but Josh did come back and help for the final push to the finish. Thirteen sacks of cement, 39 mixer loads of concrete and a fair number of trips back and forth to the log shed saw the job completed in about 4 hours.

I am unfortunately suffering greatly from the ware and tare on my body. My wellies were rubbing away at my calves and, combined with splashes of sand and cement, I am now modelling some enormous blisters on both legs. Even sleeping last night was a painful experience.

Hopefully next weekends mission will be to concrete the floor in the garage, preferably this time with slightly less injuries.

3 comments:

Louise said...

Looks painful but hopefully the concrete floor will help x

Anonymous said...

OK, now Mummy's worried about you!! Do you need better wellies? Or long socks to make a barrier between the wellies and your skin? What a good job that Josh and Kirsty work hard for you. Go careful, use lots of Germolene!!!!
Mum xxx

Jane said...

Germolene!!! Yuk!!!