Friday 6 April 2007

What's It all About Then

Well, if this is you first visit here, you may want to know what this blog is all about. Back in December 2006 whilst sufing the WEB on my lunch break, I came across a chateau for sale in Brittany. Now any other day of the week I'd have just glanced at it and said "oooh, that's nice" before moving on to find something else to pass the time of day. This property was different though. Firstly we could afford it, secondly it ticked all the right boxes in what I'd dreamed of as an ideal property, and finally, my Dad was interested in coming with me to view it. A few e-mails to the estate agent and a couple of phone calls later and it was all sorted, we were off the following week to go and view it and, we'd hopefully put down a deposit. If only property buying was as easy as that. On the morning we were due to sale out on the ferry, an early call from the estate agent shattered my dreams. In a matter of moments my whole world had fallen apart and the chances of another property like this coming on the market at the right price seemed like nill. Christmas was soon upon us and Jane and I spent a lot of time carrying out a post-mortem of events before deciding it was time to move on. When I say move on, it is meant in the litery term as we made the decision we would sell up our longterm homestead in Lawn Close and move to France. Months of research took place after this, looking into the ins and outs of French Life, property buying, locations and properties. We were overwhelmed with the options available to us and, although finding lots of potential properties, we were not happy to commit to any of them. Like a shot from the dark, a friend of my mums had suggested renting before we considered buying anywhere as they had had an unpleasent experience with property in France. This seemed a very logical approach however it still didn't resolve the issues of where to buy.

1 comment:

Lyndon said...

I'll see you before you go but things are looking good. Hope you get settled pretty quick coz you know I like to travel and this sounds like a cheap holiday. Good Luck with the rest of the arrangements.